Happy Monday everyone! Today’s blog post was written by my friend Melanie. I had the pleasure of meeting her at the She Speaks Conference this past July. Besides being my friend, Melanie is an inspirational blogger and computer guru. She designed the One Degree Twitter Home Page (@tracy_steel) and Facebook page banner-she rocks! AND because of Melanie, you are able to subscribe to this blog and have all of the posts delivered to your email. Thank you Melanie! So be sure to check out Melanie’s website for encouragement and affordable web design services.
The only thing harder than growing up… is watching your children grow up.
Navigating life as a child can be tough business. When children are young and starting to walk, they often fall and need to be picked up and encouraged to try to take that next independent step. Those steps, though, away from mom and dad are the ones that lead them to the scary parts of life – friendships, bullies, learning, laughing, weeping, falling in love, and broken hearts.
As my children grow, God has opened my eyes to how much I try to control life around me… and how little I trust Him.
“But, God, what if my child gets hurt at school? What if he doesn’t have any friends? What if someone bullies him? What if he can’t keep up in class?”
Our patient, gentle Father has been working in this frantic heart of mine. I can almost hear Him whisper, “Child, do you think I’ve forgotten him? Have I forgotten you?
Do you trust me?
Do you trust me with what is most precious to you –your children?”
Life is precious, and I struggle with embracing life and yet still trusting God with the details. Why am I scared He will forget? What control do I really have over my life? Is it not only a breath?
Today, I want to replace my “What if’s” with God’s “I will’s”.
- God will supply all that I need — “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” ~ Philippians 4:19
- God will never leave me or forsake me – “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:6
- God will help me in times of trouble – “and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” ~ Psalm 50:15
- God will provide a way of escape from temptation – “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:13
- God will lead me and direct my life – “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” ~ Proverbs 3:6
All of these promises are truth because God’s Word is truth. When doubt creeps in, and Satan whispers that I can’t really trust God, I will cling to these truths. When the habit of worry starts to overcome my heart, I will claim these promises and remember that God will take care of each of my children and the struggles they face.
My children are most precious to me…. but they are even more precious to God.
Today, I am learning just like a toddler learns to walk. I keep falling down, and my heavenly Father scoops me up in His arms and encourages me forward in my walk. I pray He will encourage your heart today too.
Do you ever struggle with trusting God? How do you learn to trust Him with everything, especially with your children?
About the Author:
Melanie is a blessed wife and mom who loves sharing the hope of life in Christ and the joy of His unfailing love. For more encouragement, visit her blog at OnlyABreath.com.